skip to main content
Posted On:
Tuesday, September 12, 2017


National School Lunch and School Breakfast and Special Milk Programs

Jefferson County Schools today announced its policy for free and reduced-price lunch, breakfast, milk after school snacks for those students unable to pay the full price for meals and snacks under the National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, and the Special Milk Program.  The following household size and income criteria will be used for determining Eligibility. 

  Free Meals         Reduced-Price Meals      
  130% Federal Poverty Guideline       185% Federal Poverty Guideline    
Household Size Annual Monthly Twice Per Month Every Two Weeks Weekly Household Size2 Annual2 Monthly2 Twice Per Month2 Every Two Weeks2 Weekly2
1 15,678 1,307 654 603 302 1 22,311 1,860 930 859 430
2 21,112 1,760 880 812 406 2 30,044 2,504 1,252 1,156 578
3 26,546 2,213 1,107 1,021 511 3 37,777 3,149 1,575 1,453 727
4 31,980 2,665 1,333 1,230 615 4 45,510 3,793 1,897 1,751 876
5 37,414 3,118 1,559 1,439 720 5 53,243 4,437 2,219 2,048 1,024
6 42,848 3,571 1,786 1,648 824 6 60,976 5,082 2,541 2,346 1,173
7 48,282 4,024 2,012 1,857 929 7 68,709 5,726 2,863 2,643 1,322
8 53,716 4,477 2,239 2,066 1,033 8 76,442 6,371 3,186 2,941 1,471
For Each additional family member, add 5,434 453 227 209 105 For each additional family member, add 7,733 645 323 298 149

Children from households that meet Federal guidelines are eligible for free or reduced-price meal services.  Complete one application per household for all children that attend the same school district.

All meals served must meet the U.S. Department of Agriculture meal requirements.  However, if a child has been determined by a doctor to have a disability and the disability would prevent the child from eating the regular school meal, this school will make substitutions prescribed by the doctor.  If a substitution is needed, there will be no extra charge for the meal.  If you believe your child needs substitutions because of a disability, please contact the school nutrition office for further information.

Application forms are being sent to all homes with a letter to parents or guardians.  To apply for free or reduced-price meal services, households must complete the application as soon as possible, sign it, and return it to the school.  Additional copies of the application form are available in the principal’s office in each school.  Households should answer all applicable questions on the form.  An application which does not contain all the required information cannot be processed and approved by the school.  Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) participants may be eligible for free/reduced-price meals and are encouraged to complete an application for meal benefits.

The required information is as follows:

SNAP/TANF HOUSEHOLDS:  If the school provided you a letter that stated your child(ren) is eligible for free meals via the direct certification process, you do not have to complete this application to receive free meal benefits.  Households that currently receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance program (SNAP) or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) for their child(ren), only have to list the child(ren)’s name and at least one SNAP or TANF case number and sign the application.  If at least one SNAP/TANF case number is provided for any household member, then all children listed on the application are categorically eligible for free meals.  Applications listing LINK card numbers cannot be used for free or reduced-price meals.

ALL OTHER HOUSEHOLDS:  If a household’s income is at or below the level shown on the income scale, children are eligible for either free or reduced-price meal services.  Households must provide the following information: (1) the names of all the household members; (2) the last four digits of the social security number of the adult household member signing the application, or indicate if the adult does not have a social security number; (3)the amount of income each household member received last month, how frequently it is paid, and where it come from (wages, child support, etc.); and (4)the signature of an adult household member.

The information on the application may be checked by school or other officials at any time during the school year. 

Households may apply for benefits at any time during the school year.  Households that are not eligible now but have a decrease in household income, an increase in household size, or a household member becomes unemployed, should fill out an application t that time. 

Homeless, migrant, runaway youth, Head Start and foster care children, are categorically eligible for free meals.  Please follow instructions and return form to school.

Households that do not agree with the ruling of the official may wish to discuss it with the school.  Household also have the right to a fair hearing.  This can be done by calling or writing the following official:

Jamie Johnson, Nutrition Director or  Sherry Finchum, Assistant Director of Schools

P.O. Box 190  Dandridge, TN  37725 



In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.  Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800)877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.  To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint For, (AD-3027) found online at, and at any USDA office,  or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form.  To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866)632-9992.  Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)      Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)      Fax: (202)690-7442; or

(3)      Email: program,

(4)      This institution is an equal opportunity provider


ISBE 68-04 PANSLP (6/17)